“We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God.” - Pope Benedict XVI
Fabook Link
   Check out our Facebook for news!
St. Adalbert Parish History
Information about the history of our parish

St. Hedwig Church Toledo is the largest city in Northwest Ohio with a population of over 300,000. The residents of Polish ancestry number over 60,000.

The first Poles began arriving after the civil war in the 1870's. By 1879, the first Polish parish was established in the Lagrange Street district (known as "Lagrinka" by poles) under the patronage of St. Hedwig. The Polish Lagrinka district grew very rapidly into the beginning of the 20th century.

 By 1907, Bishop Ignatius Hortsman of Cleveland felt the need to establish a second Polish parish in the Lagrange Street district as a division to St. Hedwig Parish. Fr. Jozef Wachowski, a young priest who worked in Cleveland, was assigned to begin the new parish on October 18, 1907. Park street was chosen as the boundary line. The old church building of St. Hedwig would be the new parish's meeting place. The first meeting was held there on February 23, 1908.

 In March 1908, Bishop Hortsman approved the choice of St. Adalbert as the namesake and patron of the new parish.

 In the summer of 1908, Fr. Wacowski bought property on Lagrange Street bordered by Oakland, Warsaw and Weber Streets. By October 1909 a church/school building was completed.

The structure was dedicated on September 18, 1910. In 1909 the rectory was built and in 1915 the convent.

 As the parish continued to rapidly grow (St. Adalbert Parish eventually became the largest parish in the Diocese) it was necessary that a new, separate church be built. The cornerstone to our present magnificent church was laid on April 19, 1927.

On September 18, 1927, the first mass in the new church was celebrated. On April 22, 1928, Fr. Wachowski's 25th anniversary of ordination to the priesthood, the new St. Adalbert Church was dedicated by Bishop Stritch.

 At the founding of the original parish, only about 150 families were members and at the time of building the new church, more than 1,000 families were members. At the present time we have 680 household families registered at St. Adalbert.

Sat - 4:00pm
Sun - 9:30am
Mon-Wed - 8:00am
First Friday
Expostion & Chaplet - 7:00am
Mass - 8:00am
 
Sat - 3:00-3:45pm
Copyright © 2008 Saints Adalbert & Hedwig Church - All Rights Reserved | Site best viewed in 1024X768 or higher resolution